Friday, January 9, 2015

BA2 Research into Gargoyles (Appearance)

Moving on from my previous post I have started to look into the key characteristics and features in various gargoyles and monsters that I believe to be both threatening and unnerving. I am committed to keeping this theme of creating a sculpture that inspire fear into man and demon alike either through its fearsome appearance or religious connotations.

I have compiled a couple of mood-boards focusing on the subject itself be it a creature or corrupted beast, as well as the poignant expressions found in many gargoyles, and the examples of the variety of poses and placements of gargoyles and the materials used.



The Subject

The subject mood-board was a way for me to look into pre-existing gargoyles as well as fantasy based work to help inspire what my gargoyle may look like.

I believe that my final subject should have a direct link to the time period itself and seeing as I would like to create a gargoyle to be used in a game set in a medieval period i believe that the beliefs of the time are a good way to reflect this in its appearance.

The immediate idea that comes to mind is to give my gargoyle something instantly threatening to a demon, something that is recognisable as pure and good and the exact opposite of the corruption and evil of a demon. The obvious idea at this point is to use the sculpt of an angel for my piece as it is a direct link to the biblical based beliefs at the time as well as serving as a polar opposite to the evil it is warding off.



Angels in sculpture are most commonly seen in graveyards overlooking a tombstone or merged into a water fountain's design and is very rarely if not almost void of being used as the design of a gargoyle. Perhaps their purity or symbolism of righteousness could conflict with the existing notions that gargoyles are to be grotesque and displeasing to the eye. An angel is a rather unorthodox subject for a gargoyle and one, I believe, could be used to great effect.

At the same time, I do wish to create something unique and interesting yet I do not wish to challenge the pre-existing theme of gargoyles and will in fact look into ways of corrupting this traditionally peaceful being and create something far more chilling as a result.

Though I could equally stick with a very pure and majestic looking sculpture for my gargoyle I believe that creating something very frightening and unnerving is a far more interesting path to go down and one that will offer great opportunities for the final design through iteration and evolution of ideas.


The next mood board was created with my initial thoughts on the subject for my gargoyle well in place with a clear intent to look into gargoyles that have an eerie atmosphere and daunting appearance, be it through their expression or appearance. This mood board looked into that as well as the materials often used in a gargoyle.

The clear theme at this point is to give my gargoyle not only a fearsome sense of foreboding and dread but to do it in a manner that does not detract from the angel's beauty. I do not intend to create a gargoyle that is fearsome through its grotesque appearance or disfigurement but through its shear creepy and imposing presence. For this to be achieved I will not only have to study its form and expression but the pose and placement of this gargoyle upon its respective structure in order to convey the over arching fear I wish it to instill. 

Due to its function a gargoyle must be placed in an area that allows it to drain water from the building, yet I wish to create more of a decorative piece. Unfortunately however this would clash with my original brief as the gargoyle we are creating must have a water spout and act as a gargoyle should and not as a grotesque in simply being a decorative sculpt.

I have an idea of tackling this issue however. From my research into the positioning of gargoyles I have found situating it over an archway or opening to be the most pleasing as it would be easily viewed by anyone and has the over arching intimidation I was aiming to achieve. 

The idea of having travelers, townsfolk, or even attackers enter or leave this town by passing under a nightmarish sculpt of something that seems to have crawled out of hell would surely be a sight to remember.

Its function and positioning however would need to be addressed as this must still be a gargoyle. The entrance to a fortification or town is definitely where i wish to have it situated yet does the fortification necessarily need this sculpt pouring water over the main entrance to the town? My thought at this time is not to use this sculpt as a means of preserving the structure itself.... but the very people behind it. What if my gargoyle could be used not only to frighten attackers but to inflict harm on them as well? This path leads me down creating something far more menacing, something that could be used as a weapon?...

My next post will be looking into defensive methods used to ward off attackers in medieval times and how I could incorporate my gargoyle into this...

No comments:

Post a Comment