Thursday, February 19, 2015

BA2 Creating My Final Sculpt 2 (Wings)

It took several attempts to create the wings with various methods involved. Initially I was unsure how to tackle the creation of these complex design despite the simplicity I thought I had chosen in its form.

I tried a ZSphere mesh base as a starting point yet felt it was too unclean and hard to get the flat shapes I wanted efficiently.

The opposite was then attempting to create the entire wing in shadow box to draw ou the design and get the flatter shape i desired through the side projection. Unfortunately I didn't find this to be very successful either.

However shadow box did teach me that I could create a quick, smooth, flat, and symmetrical piece relatively effortlessly and thus had the idea to create a single shard/feather of the wing.


I then decided to duplicate and warp each individual shard and place them in a formation similar of a wing's design.


Once I had done this and gotten the general form of the wing I duplicated the entire wing and layered each copy on top warping and shaping them to fit aesthetically over the previous version.

 
Once content with the positioning of the layers I went back and removed the original formation of the lower wing shards as I felt they were too blocky and gave the wing a little too much volume. 


Pleased with three rows of feathers I started to reshape and add more in to fill gaps and reduce the size of some that I felt were to bulky.


Content with the placement of the main volume of the wing I had to design the stem that would clip the feathers together over the top. I came up with several designs and selected the one I felt worked the best




























In the end I chose the design below, adjusted the feathers again in accordance to the stem that had been added, and started working addressing the topology of the wing and making some final additions and changes.



































No comments:

Post a Comment