Thursday, February 19, 2015

BA2 Creating My Final Sculpt 5 (Texturing)

I found that my highest division for my sculpt was suitable for a highly detailed render of the sculpt with a polypaint cover involving photo textures and brush strokes.


The first trial was coating the mask in gold, i felt this worked but would need to see how it compares against other materials.



My next attempt at texturing was making the metal plates on the body out of oxidised copper. I felt this looked nice but clashed with the gold mask which i felt took precedence.


I then attmepted pure copper for the metal plates and felt it looked alot better. I placed it on the wings and the metal plates of the sculpt.


For the stem and cover of the wng I used a sort of dirty brass which I felt to work well enough that I replaced the gold texture of the mask with my newly found brass appearance.


I continued to place the copper over secondary metal areas and the brass over primary areas of interest. Initially I went for a concrete texture to resemble whit stone on the main body yet felt it clashed too much with the dark and beaten metal texture.


After some trial and error I chose to use a marble texture and faintly lay it over a very dark balck and red paint to created a sort of charred and almost volcanic looking stone texture for the torso which I felt worked brilliantly




I continued by laying this volcanic texture to any predetermined stonework such as the arms, main torso and lower robes. For the backing I made it clear it was not the same as the sculpture itself by laying it over with a tile design and dark grey wash


In the end I also revisited the backing piece and cut down its form as I felt the initial size of it was too distracting from the overall piece.

Overall I was very pleased with the final design of the sculpt and felt the high poly division of it presented the texture excellently. My issues however was that I could not bring a lower poly subdivision level than 600K due to time constraints and knowledge of the programme. I was able to however create two subdivision levels in the final sculpt. One high end used to display the turntable and polypaint render. The other was lower and able to retain the detail at the slight loss of quality in the texture, primarily on the backing piece fortunately.



No comments:

Post a Comment