Sunday, February 8, 2015

BA2 Form and Pose Iterations

With my initial ideas to create an angel-esque figure, and my research into harmful possibilities of my gargoyle I felt I have solidified an "angel of death" style persona for this gargoyle. Through research and beginnings in my iterations I have started by looking into the position and general form I wish my gargoyle to take and its positioning on its respective structure.



The gargoyle itself is being placed on the ceiling and thus will need to have a relatively flat design with nothing drastic pointing out. It will be undergoing gravity's effects and thus most of it will need to be secured to the ceiling.

I feel symmetry will be important  due to the aesthetics of a ceiling design but may break it up in some areas further down my design so that the design doesn't feel uncanny as a result.
















One of my initial sketches depicts the angel, wings spread, and arms open in a sort of "embrace what you cannot prevent" pose. Instantly I like this design as i believe it has potential to work in its function, creating appropriate openings for the "murder holes".







Some other early sketches depicts the angel of death as a male warrior due to the title and the connotations to war and destruction. Yet I believe there is something more subtly haunting having the angel with a female design like in my previous sketch. I believe it adds the element of purity to it, as it is an angel, yet still has potential for corruption in the design that may be able to add the more brutal and terrifying atmosphere that would come with bearing the title of "The Angel of Death".

I believe I will take the open arms sketch further and start coming up with a design that looks further into emphasising the female form as well as adding and subtracting features that will make it more haunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment