Thursday, February 19, 2015

BA2 Design Iteration for the Final Sculpt

Due to feedback from group crits I have accelerated my iteration process and have jumped forward into finalising the idea and design of my final piece due to the time the sculpt will take to create and polish.

From my previous iterations I had made I created variations of them starting with looking primarily at the head and face.



The intial design was that of the top left looking into how the openings would work and how to merge both the function and aesthetics of the design together. The second rendered head looked primarily into creating a fearsome design and something that would be used to truly frighten those below.

Through redesigns and inspirations I created 8 possible faces with slight alterations to the crown, neck and hair, and hopefully allow the designs to be mixed and matched to combine the elements I like best out of all of them.



Going from 1 to 4 on the top row and 5 to 8 on the bottom row I took various inspirations from preexisting and common horrors and combined them with my initial to design to see what I could create.

No.1 was a perversion of the original concept, tearing at the metal creating horrible markings and twisting the metal to create a truly corrupted and disfigured form.

No. 2 was the original face focusing on how the openings necessary in my sculpt could be implemented in an aesthetic way.

No.3 drew direct inspiration from the nightmare known as a "necromorph" from the "deadspace" games with the crown being created in a more "evil queen of the sea" like appearance.

No.4  looked into separating the mouth and part of the nose more on the mask dehumanising it further and attempting to draw more attention to the eyes

No.5 took inspiration from Hannibal's mask in the "Hannibal" film trilogy and to create a face that looked as if it was being held back, ready to unleash horror upon those below.

No.6 was where I wanted to experiment going back into the angelic routes of my creation creating something more majestic and pure despite the harm it can cause.

No.7 saw to connect the holes in the eyes with that of the throat to create a more function friendly design that still retained some form of facial structure to it.

No.8 was finally inspired by a traditional nurse cap as hospital stuff are often seen twisted and tormented in pieces such as the silent hill franchise and many zombie flicks.

Upon reviewing these designs I couldn't help but continue to be interested by my initial sketch (Head No.2) and would combine the dehumaninsing aspect of No.4. My final 3D sculpt will be created closely in accordance to these two designs and will appear very similar with minor changes to occur based on 3D issues I may encounter.

My next task is to design the chest and the wings for the sculpt with the lower half of the body following the style based on my final decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment