Thursday, February 19, 2015

BA2 Iteration Continuation

Continuing on my female angel of death design I decided on looking primarily into the upper torso design as the robes, or clothing of the lower half would merge and spread into the ceiling or backing piece.

The initial design was of the open wings and arms angel and I have iterated on that by creating a primary design simply through elements of imagination and thoughts into the potential material.














As an initial thought this design focused on the head, as well as potential ways i could incorporate the function of "murder holes" into the actual design of the sculpt. Main inspirations included metal cogs, the statue of liberty and masquerade ball masks. 

I felt hollow eyes and a mouth would be an excellent way of creating an opening for water to be poured down as well as create a frightening and soulless expression for my gargoyle. The opening is the stomach also creates and idea that this is a husk of an angel and that all its malice and death pours out from inside it. The holes in the wings are currently just an idea on potentially incorporating more openings into the sculpt. 

The crown at the moment is how I wanted to tackle to iconic appearance of a halo above an angel yet give it a far harsher appearance envisioning it to be made of sharp and jagged rusted iron. The hair would be similar but felt would follow suit if it were to be created from long flat sheets of metal that would curve and run parallel with the surface the gargoyle is attached to.

Finally the partial nudity was something I felt was also important in emphasising that this is an angel, free of the shame or emotion found in humans and that its limited clothing serves only as a form of similarity to humans in appearance.

I will do several iterations on the head, crown, chest, and wing design of this initial concept as I am pleased with its simple yet eerie appearance and will look into how I can alter this design to be both suitable to create in 3D and its correlation with my original brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment