Thursday, February 19, 2015

BA2 Design Iteration for Final Sculpt 2

Having decided upon a design for the head I have created several designs similar in format but for the chest and wings.


The following ideas drew mild inspirations from pre existing ideas as well as allowing my imagination to go free within the confines of my self made goal for my gargoyle.
Going from 1 to 4 on the top row, and then 5 to 8 on the bottom row I merged ideas with potential designs to create these iterations on the already formed template in my original sketch.

No.1 is the design of the original chest piece focusing on creating openings within that sculpt that would not interfere with the flow and the aesthetics of the design

No.2 looked more into ancient Greek sculptures and the robes they would drape over their bodies, leaving the chest exposed to emphasise this sculpture to be both an angel void of shame and a piece of art created to cover a weapon.

No.3 focused on the clothing a little more and how I could create obscure openings that seem to flow with the design despite their secret capabilities.

No.4 was more as a piece of art with odd metal components forming around where the heart would be found to create something unique with potentially more meaning behind it than just what you see.

No.5 felt more as a form of creating symmetry as well as plating reminiscent of armour whilst maintaining the openings within the sculpt.

No.6 is drawn from horrors such as famine and plague as well as insect like parts such as legs within the chest and wing like patterns as openings in the ribs.

No.7 used crude metal plates to reinforce the openings looking into function more as heavy projectiles may also be thrown down these openings potentially harming the gargoyle hanging under it.

No.8 finally looked again into ancient statues and depictions of more godly beings and how they would also appear human in some aspects through clothing and form.

Again I find that the original design (No.1) is what interests me most though I may come to tone down the function of the openings and focus more on the form of the angel as I believe its appearance to take precedence over its crude purpose.

Next I created a few wing designs. Though there is little breathing room in creating the wings I felt it was better to create more simple designs as I want the main focus of the piece to the face and upper chest area and for the wing simply to compliment the piece and reinforce the idea that this is an angel despite the major changes I am making to the traditional notion of one.


I stuck to only 4 designs for the wings due to what I stated previously.

No.1 was the original design looking into incorporating openings within the wing's design to maximise the function of this piece.

No.2 looked more into the traditional appearance of was wing looking into simplifying that of an eagle's span and how it could potentially be one solid sheet of metal

No.3 was focusing more on the individual feathers that make up ad wing and how they're rusted and jagged appearance could make the wings themselves look deadly

No.4 finally was incorporating the function of No.1 with the familiar feathery appearance of a wing to make it blend better with the angel itself.

Contrary to my other designs I have decided not to go for my initial creation and believe that No.3's lethal and familiar appearance is more suitable for my final design.

I will closely into the chosen iterations of my 2D concepts when beginning my final sculpt and will follow them closely to achieve the desired appearance of my gargoyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment